An Ode to Chaos – Psychopaths and Unmotivated Antisocial Behavior (Part 2)

I’ve written before about what Cleckley referred to as “unmotivated antisocial behavior.”  In that post, I spoke of the “demons” that psychopaths battle and the antisocial proclivities that can often bubble up to the surface.  A recent comment by one of our regulars had me thinking a bit more on this subject, however.

For me, at least, the problem comes when rolling the dice becomes the more interesting option. I mean, I *could* do it the pro-social way, but the little devil on my shoulder says “Fuck that, do it the fun way,” and I usually end up choosing the antisocial way.

And therein lies part of the problem, now doesn’t it?  I think there is a huge component of human nature that says we could live a little by letting ourselves go, by choosing antisocial behavior.  Isn’t that much of the allure with drug use, reckless driving, and other “fun” activities, none of which need be prosocial?  As with most things, I believe the psychopath is simply more honest on this front with these desires.

Many years ago, when I’d steal from time to time, I didn’t think of whether I really needed or wanted the items I pilfered.  I simply did so because it was something to do.  The adrenaline rush of wondering if that day was the day that I would get caught entered my mind.  Of course, I didn’t particularly want to deal with the consequences, but the rush – that addicting rush – was still there.  The same could be said about my days of intoxicated or otherwise reckless driving and any number of other antisocial actions that I engaged in.  The need was in the thrill itself.  I’m, like many psychopaths I’d surmise, a junkie.  I’ve simply learned to deal with the reality that my freedom hinges on leaving these highs in the past.

What of you, my neurotypical reader?  How many times have you wanted to let go, put your finger in the sky, and engage in antisocial behavior?  Surely you’ve thought and dreamt about it.  Surely you wish that there was some action in your life.  But, you have a better grasp on what is acceptable and what is not, and maybe your impulse control is much more well refined than that of the psychopath.  But I know that part of you envies our ability to throw caution and prosocial sensibility to the wind.  Why else would you go see the latest movie in which the bad guy is rooted for?  Why would you stay glued to the latest crime drama on television?  Part of you must feel jealous of us bad guys.  It’s okay, you can live vicariously through us.

In many ways, this unmotivated antisocial behavior is just a reflection of the ennui that flows through our veins.  We want something to live for, something to die for, and something to be punished for.  We just don’t want to die or get punished.  However, we psychopaths are willing to break those boundaries that the neurotypical is unwilling to, even if they may be envious of our ability on this front.

Psychopath Erasure (Part 2)
Psychopaths and Lying (Part 3)

Comments

1. mel says

Your grandiosity is out of control again. Normal folks don’t envy you. To be very clear: The “throwing caution to the wind to the wind” idea and behaving recklessly is just stupid. Stupid behavior is just, well, as I said, stupid and immature and precisely why young drivers have high insurance premiums. Psychopaths are like Young-ins who don’t have a developed prefrontal cortex. Consequently, good judgement and impulse control ability are impaired. The lack of being able to employ a breaking system, which leads to reckless behavior, is not enviable, but rather embarrassing. A psychopath’s delusions of grander prevents you from gaging a situation accurately. I am sure you’d like us to envy you, but we don’t. Your lack of restraint is why you are avoided. You can’t be trusted, you have zero integrity and you’re just embarrassing to hang with. The fact that you engage in reckless and meaningless behavior and actual find it fun is a repellant. Your inability to understand puts you at a disadvantage because you have no idea how your actions are perceived. After the initial seducing that you do, the mask starts to crack and invariably falls off and you humiliate yourself.

You write, “You know,” as if you really know. Hahaha. For your edification and information, the normal people I know, watch crime thrillers to see how the good guys will derail the bad guy. Bad guys are not enviable, except maybe to a psychopath. Hey, but the good news is the bad guys, in movies, are always thwarted. They always get it in the end. Hollywood just loves happy endings because thats what brings in box office bank.

The problem is your incessant boredom. That unrelenting nagging feeling that can never ever be satiated and drives you to do stupid things must be hell. I can’t imagine anything more awful.

“I wish I was a psychopath” was said by no one, ever.

You want an example of a movie where the bad guys win and was hugely successful at the box office? Okay… try Valkyrie. Here’s more examples: Hunger Games (neither the rebels nor the Capital are good guys, and Katniss is an antihero anyway), No Country for Old Men, Silence of the Lambs, and The Usual Suspects. Every one of these movies did very well at the box office, and they’re all movies where the bad guy wins.

The more you post these rants, the clearer it becomes that you’ve never met a psychopath in any situation other than a movie villain or a TV show. Do you know what politicians, serial killers, cult leaders, etc. all have in common? People are drawn to psychopaths and narcissists. This is abundantly clear in the real world, not the fantasy world you live in where psychopaths are incredibly easy to spot.

If you can immediately pinpoint that someone is a psychopath while you’re interacting in a normal setting, you should know that you have just pinpointed someone that’s inevitably not a psychopath. We blend in far better than you think we do, and we are successful at what we do specifically because we are charismatic and charming.

Moreover, who’s saying that psychopaths do stupid things when we’re bored? I do calculated risks when I’m bored, but the odds are always on my side when I do these things. The more risky the activity, the less I’ll end up doing it, just because I’d rather gain power than gain prison time or injury/death.

I’d also like to point out that you don’t seem to know the difference between someone who is autistic and someone who is a psychopath. Psychopaths know full well how behaviors are perceived, but that won’t stop us from doing those things. Autistic people don’t know how their behavior is perceived, and therefore do whatever whenever.

2. mel says

Haha. You named a few movies! Of course there are exceptions. I could list hundred of films where the bad guys get it in the end and the audience cheers!

Who says psychopaths do stupid things when they’re bored? Everyone! Psychopaths can’t see it because they’re delusional thinkers and feel superior to others. Closer to the truth, psychopaths aren’t that cleaver, because their sight is limited. It’s like being color blind. You can’t accurately gage anything. The charade you play has a shelf life.

The problem is that psychopaths know what they’re doing and they make the choice to do it anyway. They know very well, they just don’t care. That’s why it’s stupid! And it’s so embarrassing

You don’t blend in very well. We “normals” are now becoming more educated into the ways of the psychopath, so it’s easier to spot you. Depending on the situation, it may not be immediate, but knowing the red flags it’s pretty easy to do.

I’d like to point out that I am blue-yellow colorblind, and it doesn’t impact my ability to gauge things.

But tell me, how is taking landscape pictures or playing video games stupid? Those are my go-to activities for when I’m bored (or when I’m slacking off at work). Those activities aren’t reckless either.

You’ve always said that you could spot a psychopath easily, but you’ve never actually listed the traits you’d look for to figure us out (and you’ve ignored any questions regarding how you know this so easily). I mean, do you look at micro-expressions or what?

3. mel says

FNP – I just have to ask questions. The psychopath is then easily revealed. The answers to the questions as well as the facial expressions in response to said questions reveal everything.

Psychopaths are text book due to limited or non existent emotions.

So you can determine a well-rehearsed expression meant to dissuade anybody of the notion that it might not be genuine just by asking a question and looking at someone’s face? How would this help you determine if the person you ask is a psychopath? Is there some kind of common answer to questions that only psychopaths will say?

I highly doubt you’d find any common answers to your questions between 2 different psychopaths. I would answer completely differently than the author of this blog would.

• mel says

Yes. Psychopaths reveal themselves by what they say and how they say it, due to their limited ability to feel and understand emotions. A well rehearsed expression can only take a psychopath so far.

Of course you would answer a question differently than another psychopath. That’s not the point. The words might be different, but what you both say would resonate the same.

A great con artist might not be immediately identified, but identification can happen relatively quickly once you know and study the signs.

Psychopaths do not have a limited ability to understand emotions. We understand emotions quite well, in fact. Autistic people are the ones that don’t understand emotions.

I don’t really understand how you would be able to quickly identify me as a psychopath if we were to have a conversation in the real world. If it was a small talk conversation, I’d go on about how the weather has been absolutely boiling in the Pacific Northwest, and how I know next to nothing about sports teams. If it was about politics, you would probably figure out that I’m a National Socialist, but that wouldn’t lead you to me being a psychopath, since it’s an ideology all about cooperation rather than individual excellence. If it was about religion, you’d figure out that I don’t much care either way, but still operate in a moral way (as it keeps me out of legal trouble).

I’m not the type of psychopath to be interested in manipulating somebody I just meet randomly and talk to for a bit. I have no interest in single-person influence. You won’t see any gaslighting or emotional manipulation of a single person from me, it’s just not of any value to me.

Why target an individual when I have the ability to influence groups of people through my job as an animator?