Fixing the Damned – Seeking a “Cure” for Psychopathy

A baby is born and immediately is taken from the mother to go into surgery.  You see, the baby was born with extra digits and the doctor decreed that it must be saved from a lifetime of stigma.  Somewhere else in the hospital, a baby is born with ambiguous genitalia.  It is also whisked away to be “fixed”.  Cures are sought every day for those peculiarities that society has deemed diseased.  Whether or not the afflicted suffer at all is not in question, whether those with the power can accept such “deformity” is.  Society has come to pathologize aspects of the human condition that are deemed taboo or aesthetically unpleasing.  Boundaries have been set and those that are unlucky enough to cross such boundaries are deemed in need of a cure by those with the power.  Individuality is destroyed in the name of group conformity and membership.  This is the nature of man.

These are tricky questions.  I can recall all too well my mother screaming that she wished she had aborted me when I came out as transgender.  I’m all too aware of parents that are disappointed when their child is revealed to be autistic.  We search for cures to prevent deformity and we enact cures on the living.  Psychopathy has been pathologized itself and differences sought between psychopaths and neurotypicals.  Both a point of relief for the neurotypical and persecution by the neurotypical, these differences are used to explain the “sick” and distinguish them from the “healthy.”

Everyone wants something to blame, something to point at as a reason for difference.  When these differences are misunderstood or deemed unacceptable, treatment sets in.  As with infectious disease, should treatment fail, isolation becomes enacted.  At all points, the disease model is used to explain psychopathy.  However, it is by those in the majority that such a decision gets to be made.  The minority does not get to apply the disease model for human interactions.  What the majority does not understand, they fear.  What they fear, they pathologize.  What is pathologized becomes a target for eradication.

Psychopaths make up less than 1% (by many estimates) of the adult human population.  If many neurotypicals had their way, we would make up 0% of the population.   Society wants to eradicate the parasite, regardless of whether any symbiotic relationship is present.  I suspect that it is not out of the realm of possibility that one day psychopathy could be a target for elimination or isolation.  We’ve already seen genetic profiling of the “warrior gene,” a gene linked to increased aggression.  What if the psychopathic condition itself becomes identifiable earlier and with the precision of many diseases?  If you can’t fix the damned, you prevent them from existing.  This is the desire of many.

Compulsion for Hate
Diagnosis and You

Comments

1. mel says

aww – the plight of the poor psychopath. If only society could accept those who consciously & willfully do harm. Not going to happen.

We don’t fear you ( I don’t know why you keep stating so in your posts). We just don’t like you. I am sorry if that bursts your “gandiosity” bubble.

Autism and diformities are not the same as psychopathy. You, psychopaths, know exactly what you do and you do it anyway. Autistic people don’t have that luxury. Shame on you for this pity-play.

You claim to know so much about psychopaths, but you haven’t learned the basic principle of psychopaths: we are amoral, not immoral. Psychopaths do not do exclusively immoral things, just as neurotypicals like yourself do not do exclusively moral things. In fact, studies have shown that neurotypicals are as much as 12 times more likely to choose the immoral action than psychopaths are.

• mel says

I would like to see that link as well. If normal people are “12 times more likely to choose the immoral action than psychopaths,” then why are there so many books and websites that talk about the immoral behavior of the psychopath. i.e. manipulation, predatory, pathological lying, swindling, deviancy,destroying lives etc. I have yet to read how psychopaths need to be wary of normal people.

If what you are saying is true, than why do many in the field of mantal health stress that it is in the public’s best interest and essential to learn the MO of a psychopath, so that the psychopath can be avoided because no good can come from an association with one.

Psychopaths do not choose the immoral action regularly. Psychopaths are amoral, and make no conscious effort to pick a moral or immoral choice.

How can you possibly know that no good can come from being associated with a psychopath? I often wonder if you’ve ever met any psychopaths in the real world, or just edgy tumblrinas.

2. mel says

FNP – According to all of the research, psychopaths choose to harm people. Psychopaths are deliberate in their actions.Psychopaths feel control and power over the perople they dupe. I’ve always thought that to be so peculiar. Controlling someone through manipulation if so false and short lived. It’s the illussion of control. which is why the psychopath’s plan always always always unravels True power comes from being authentic: control is long lasting. However, for the psychopath: mask off, game over.

I’ve met the likes of you – how else would I know the inner workings so well. Reseach takes you only so far. You have to know a psychopath to really digest how diabolical a psych mind is.

According to the actual research, psychopaths choose the option that gives them the most. This option is usually the prosocial choice rather than the antisocial choice, as prosocial choices let you operate in a prosocial environment for a longer time. A great example of this is me: I won’t hurt others by choice because it will hurt my status and reputation, which are the only things that hold value to me outside of my political views.

3. mel says

FNP – I will give you that “psychopaths choose the option that gives them the most” and they will employ any means possible to achieve that because they are parasitic and users. If the “actual research” actually stated that psychopaths generally choose the ‘prosocial” option then why all the bad press? Why do psychopath have such a horrid reputation? Why do ALL experts consider it a matter of social importance to educate the public on psychopathy? I have yet to read anything that says psychopaths are good people to be trusted. On the contrary, everything says, get out fast!