Can Psychopaths be Masochists?

I’m always taking suggestions for topics from readers.  ~450 posts in, I find that I have to repeat myself a bit in the absence of new input.  That said, I am very grateful for the following question that came in from a tumblr follower:

Oh, and people seem to have difficulties with imaging that there are masochistic psychopaths. Obviously everyone knows that a lot of us tend to take pleasure from causing others emotional or physical pain, but if a psychopath likes to experience the latter themselves it’s often seen as ‘even weirder’. I’m curious about your take on an explanation for that reaction.

I have written that I am unconvinced that sadism is a core feature of psychopathy.  Whether one inflicts pain for pleasure or receives pain for pleasure – or both – I am convinced is outside the scope of psychopathy.  That is, I believe that psychopathy and sadomasochism are mostly independent of one another.  That said, society has painted their own picture of what psychopathy is in their collective mind.  They have come to believe that psychopaths must be sadistic, chaotic, and violent.  We have seen time and time again that simply is not required to be the case.

For the purposes of this post, the terms sadist and masochist should be applied as broadly as possible.  That is, my intent is to discuss inflicting and receiving of pain in any manner in which any pleasure is derived.  The reader should not assume that I am referring to a sexual context, but neither should the reader assume that I am prohibiting the presence of a sexual context.  I am sadomasochistic.  I like to inflict pain and to see others suffer.  However, I also like to receive pain.  I’m not certain that I prefer the one over the other.  When I am in a tattoo parlor, I am in heaven.  The tens of thousands of needle pricks remind me that I am alive and put me in a state of physical and psychic ecstasy due to the endorphins being released by my body.  When I cut, I focus on the pain – feeling better nearly instantaneously from the combination of visual and physical stimulation.  Anyone can be sadomasochistic and the reasons are generally similar: dealing or receiving pain is pleasurable either psychically or physically.

So then, why is it so taboo to imagine a masochistic psychopath?  I believe this goes back to the opening paragraph of this post.  Society has created a narrative in which those that are “hardened” must be violent toward others and never toward themselves.  I also think there is some expectation by those with ASPD or psychopathy to live up to those conferred standards in order to appear rugged, rough, and hardened.  Ultimately, this is all horse shit.  Pleasure comes in many forms and the desire to seek pleasure lives on a continuum from the chaste to the hedonistic.  I have no hard numbers as to the proportion of psychopaths that are sadistic, masochistic, both, or neither.  I would love to hear accounts from my readers.  What’s your poison?  What’s your pleasure?

Truth, Trust, and Ambivalence
Hardship

Comments

1. Anonymous says

Hi again, I’m the anon who sent the ideas. Your explanation certainly doesn’t disappoint, and you worded it way better than I could have.
    From my experience, there are a lot more sadistic and masochistic empaths than people would expect, simply because a lot of them feel ashamed or afraid of their urges. Since people with ASPD don’t have that problem they’re just more open about their likes and dislikes, and because people feel especially threatened by sadists those are the ones receiving the most attention.
    To answer your question; I’m sadistic as well, but not masochistic. The only other sociopath I met so far was masochistic though.

2. Anonymous says

I’m sadistic (i.e. I enjoy inflicting pain, physically or mentally), but not masochistic… unless – this is just a working theory, based on my preferred victims – my sadism is a way of taking revenge out on a part of myself. The victim’s mind must work in a way similar to my own, thus enabling me to play, in essence, both roles at once.

P.S.: Love your blog!

3. Tom says

I think it has to do with boredom, moodswings and fantasys. I like both but in the end effect masochism sex gets boring because they dont arouse when almost everything done (heavy anal penetrations) and have to switch to something else more sadistic arousing.

4. Anon says

I’m undiagnosed if that matters, but I prefer masochism but like both, I’m not really sure why I like it, it’s just always turned me on from a young age, I think it had something to do with how I played with my cousin when we were kids if I had to guess. Although I prefer to be controlled in the bedroom in real life situations it’s quite the opposite, even being condescended to can send me off the deep end.

I agree with Tom a lot. I myself like sadism since early age. I dont enjoy being masochist I dont know why exactly being interested in BDSM and sexual experimenting a lot and ‘tried’ it. I thnk it has to do agression and being a masculine goodlooking guy like I am it doesnt arous me fe being ‘fucked’ by some sexual atractive girl so I easely change it:.

New research is showing that psychopaths do often become sadistic and/or masochistic. The key motivator behind psychopathy is a loss of empathy. The psychopath does not WANT to be effected by the emotions of others, and when they successfully deflect those emotions, they are rewarded in the pleasure center of the brain. This is the same place where other folks feel pleasure when they get what they want, as well.. Non psychopaths are not consciously trying to control the emotional expressions of others, and they feel no pleasure when they do. Psychopaths feel pleasure when they are able to endure and control their own emotional responses when cued by others.

I think you mistook lack of empathy due to differing structures in the brain with not wanting to feel things.

I very much enjoy making people feel emotions. Especially emotions like fear.

However, I don’t feel pleasure when I control my emotional responses. I feel pleasure when I get things, when I inflict pain, and when I’m jacking off to bloody amputee corpses.

• MMS says

A substantial number of psychopaths seem to enjoy or are aroused by gore

When confined to fantacy or frequenting online gore/hardcore BESM sites this represents no danger to society. But when obsessive and coupled with extreme lack of control it has the potential to become lethal.

I would guess you rate highly on self-control, FNP.

I don’t rate especially high on self-control, given that I’m considerably higher on the psychopathy spectrum than PG.

But if you think BDSM gets my jollies off… you’d be mistaken. It used to, but it’s just bland now.

Honestly, if anything, the more effort I have to spend on controlling my emotional reactions to things, the less willing to control those reactions I become.